The 2012-2013 Junior Free Dance consists of elements in 4 categories completed in 3:30 +/- 10 seconds.
- There is a choice for the required lifts: 1 short lift and 1 long lift OR 3 short lifts (must be different types)
- Long lifts are a maximum of 12 seconds and short lifts are a maximum or 6 seconds
- Note: 1 Choreographic Dance lift of up to 10 seconds, performed after the required Dance lifts, is permitted. The Choreographic Dance Lift will be awarded a Fixed Base Value and evaluated by the Judges in Grade of Execution only. If a 2nd Choreographic Dance lift is executed, it will be considered by the Technical Panel as an extra element. The Transitional Dance Lift is to be considered by the Judges in the choreography component.
- Spin is a minimum of 3 revolutions on 1 foot by both partners OR a combination spin with a minimum of 3 revolutions on each foot by both partners
- In addition, one Transitional Dance Spin, performed optionally after the required Dance Spin, is permitted. If a second Transitional Dance Spin is executed, it will be considered by the Technical Panel as an extra element. The Transitional Dance Spin is to be considered by the Judges in the Choreography component.
- Maximum of 2
- 1 selected from Group A (midline or diagonal) and 1 selected from Group B (circular or serpentine)
- Both to be skated in dance holds or variations thereof except hand-in-hand hold in sustained position with fully extended arms. Any separation to change a hold must not exceed 1 measure of music.
- Lifts, jumps of more than 1/2 rotation, stops, dance spins, pirouettes, pattern regression and loops are not to be included in step sequences.
- 1 set of synchronized twizzles
- The required set of Synchronized Twizzles may be skated anywhere in the program except in the required Step Sequences. Additional set(s) of Synchronized Twizzles may be performed, but only the first set of Synchronized Twizzles performed will be identified for level. Additional elements not identified by the Technical Panel will be considered by judged in Choreography component if elements reflect character of music/dance.
- Combined dance spin and lift are permitted but are to be counted as separate elements: i.e. as 1 of the permitted lifts and 1 dance spin.
- Kneeling or sliding on 2 knees and/or sitting on the ice are not permitted. It will be considered as a fall and the appropriate deduction will be applied by the Technical Panel.
- Other illegal elements
- Jumps of more than one revolution or jumps of one revolution skated at the same time by both partners
- Lying on the ice
- Touching the ice with hand(s).