For the 2012-2013 season, the Novice Free Dance consists of elements in 4 categories completed in 3:00 +/- 10 seconds.
- Maximum of 3
- There is a choice for the required lifts:
- Option with the long lift: One short lift and one long lift
- Option with the short lift: three types of short lift, only one type of short lift may be repeated
- Long lifts are max 12 seconds, short lifts are max 6 seconds
- Spin or combination spin
- Spin is a minimum of 3 revolutions on 1 foot by both partners OR a combination apin with a minimum of 3 revolutions on each foot by both partners
- Maximum of 1
- Midline, diagonal, circular or serpentine in hold. Must use full ice surface. Non touching sequence not permitted.
- Skated in dance holds or variations thereof except hand-in-hand hold in sustained position with fully extended arms. Any separation to change a hold must not exceed 1 measure of music.
- Lifts, jumps of more than 1/2 rotation, stops, dance spins, pirouettes, pattern regression and loops are not to be included in step sequences.
- 1 set of synchronized twizzles
- Combined dance spin and lift are permitted but are to be counted as separate elements: i.e. as 1 of the permitted lifts and 1 dance spin.
- Kneeling or sliding on 2 knees and/or sitting on the ice are not permitted. It will be considered as a fall and the appropraite deduction will be applied by the Technical Panel.
- Touching the ice with hand(s) is not permitted.
- Other illegal elements
- Jumps of more than one revolution or jumps of one revolution skated at the same time by both partners
- Lying on the ice