For the 2012-2013 season, Novice Men must complete elements in three categories during the three and a half minutes allotted for their free skate. The only change from last season is that the pattern of the step sequence is not fixed.
- A maximum of 7 jumping passes can be completed
- 1 must be an Axel-type jump
- Maximum 3 combinations or sequences
- Combinations are limited to 2 jumps, but one 3-jump combo is permitted
- Number of jumps in sequence is not limited
- One double axel and two different triple jumps may be repeated. If double axel or triple jumps repeated, must be in combo or sequence.
- No more than two of the same type of double or triple may be attempted.
- Maximum of three spins
- Spins must be of a different nature
- 1 spin must have a flying entry with no change of foot or position
- 1 spin must be a combination with or without change of foot
- 3rd spin is option of skater
- Minimum 6 revolutions, 10 for the combination spin, minimum of 2 revolutions in each position
- All spins may change feet and start with a flying entry (except for the proscribed flying entry with no change of foot)
- One leveled step sequence
- Fully utilizing the ice surface