Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Long focusing on the whole package in Omaha

Barbie Long won the pewter medal at nationals last season as a junior which earned her a Junior Grand Prix assignment this season.  At her JGP debut in Slovenia she earned the silver medal.  The Midwestern Sectionals Champion has stood on the nationals podium for the last three seasons and is looking to add to her medal haul in Omaha (check out last season's pre-San Jose interview here).

What made you decide to stay at the junior level nationally this season?
My coach and I both decided that staying junior was a better step this year because I wanted to make a statement. I didn't want to be the girl who moved up just because I placed. 

What elements have you been focusing on this year?
This year I have been focusing on my artistic ability. I don't want to just land my jumps, I want to focus on my components as well. 

You made your JGP debut in Slovenia and won the silver medal.  What was it like to represent the U.S. at an international competition and what did you take away from the experience?
Competing at a JGP event was an amazing experience! I love traveling to different countries to compete against different people. I learned that you have to be an all around great skater to place well internationally.

With so many talented junior ladies in the United States, what do you think sets you apart?
I think I have become an overall skater and have become more mature. My programs are both very different and make a great impression.

You have a triple lutz + triple toe planned in both your programs.  Do you think that gives you a technical edge?
I think my programs are some of the most technically difficult and that definitely plays a big role in the event.

What are your goals for nationals?
My goal for nationals is to compete my best and to connect with the audience.

You've won every color medal at nationals except for gold.  What do you think you need to do to make it to the top of the podium?
I think I need to focus on the whole package and stay in the moment to be successful in Omaha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment