For the 2012-2013 season, the novice ladies short program consists of 6 elements that must be performed in 2:30 maximum time. The only change from last season is that step sequences are no longer restricted to a specific movement pattern.
1. Axel or double axel
2. Double or triple jump immediately preceded by connecting steps. May not repeat double axel.
3. Jump combination, double/double or double/triple, may not repeat either Axel jump performed or solo jump
5. Layback or sideways leaning spin, no change of foot, may not have flying entry, minimum 6 revolutions
6. Spin combination, with only 1 change of foot and minimum of 1 change of position. 2 revolutions required for position to count. No flying entry, minimum 5 revolutions each foot
7. Leveled step sequence, fully utilizing the ice surface