For the 2012-2013 season, the Novice pairs short program consists of 7 elements that must be performed in a maximum time of 2 minutes and 50 seconds. The major changes are that the lift must be from group 4 (instead of group of choice), the throw must be a salchow (instead of throw of choice and a triple is now permitted), the solo jump has changed to a flip or an axel and the death spiral must be backward outside.
1. Any hand to hand lift take off (group 4), minimum 1 revolution and maximum 3 1/2 revolutions by man, carry type lifts or carry type features not permitted.
2. Single or double twist lift
3. Single, double or triple throw salchow
4. Double flip or double solo jump
5. Solo spin with no change of foot, optional change of position and optional flying entry. Minimum 5 revolutions.
6. Backward outside death spiral, both partners must execute 1 full revolution with man in full pivot position, lady must skate on a clean edge with her body and head close to the ice surface.
7. Leveled step sequence, fully utilize ice surface; partners should share workload, skate close together and to the concept/character of the music; changes of place and holds, short stops and any unlisted jumps are permitted.